Sewing Success Starts Here: 13 Tools You’ll Actually Use
The Sewing Tools that I Use as an Expert Sewist!
Apart from Sewing Machine, an Iron and a measuring tape, what else do you need to sew? The question is what do you ACTUALLY NEED? I have got a complete List for you, so you do not have to figure out on your own!
During my sewing years I have bought and accumulated a lot of sewing tools and knick-knacks. But not every purchase is gold! Some of them even though hyped and marketed well, have failed to impress me. then there are others which I picked up by chance and they have been a treasure to use.
I do not want you to waste your precious money, instead you need to invest them in tools that actually work! The right tool makes sewing easier and enjoyable. Every time you hold it and use it, you will appreciate its value and soon start recommending it to others as I am doing now in this post.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
1. Scissors
Also known as Fabric Shears of good quality are a must for every sewist!!! They make cutting easier, not only for fabric but for your hands too. Nowadays there are scissors that also serve left-handed people. Earlier it was just one type of handle for everyone. Never use fabric scissors to cut paper or any other material. And keep a scissors separate for fabrics with beads and sequins on it, as they can mess up the precious blade.
Learn how to shorten/lengthen Abaya/Modest/Maxi Dress
2. Pins
Good quality dressmaking pins are essential!!! There was a time when I hated using pins, I used to think pinning fabrics takes longer, just hold the fabric and sew it quickly. Boy I was wrong! Once I tried pinning the fabrics, it was a gamechanger for me. Although you are spending time putting pins in fabric to sew and stopping mid-sewing to take them out. But they keep the fabric in place for you, so you do not have to line fabric every few inches while sewing. You can even pin fabrics now and sew later when you get time. Pins will make sure they stay secure.
![]() |
I saw magnetic pincushion in a local shop and thought to try it. I already owned a couple of traditional stuffed pincushions then. What an utter delight to use a magnetic pincushion! Its strong magnet keeps the pins in place, so even I drop a pin near to it, it makes its way on top of it. No fumbling around to poke pins in pincushion during sewing and losing focus. It keeps the pins tidy. And if there is stray needle or pin dropped somewhere, it is easier to find it with magnetic pincushion. Your Best Friend for Your Precious Pins!
4. Sewing Clips
A must-have for quilters and bagmakers! When you do not want to use pins in bulky seams and need to hold several layers of fabrics together, the clips can do the job best! They are also good for tricky fabrics which are hard to pin like stretchy fabrics. They come in different sizes too! Another plus, they do not poke you like pins do!
Learn how to make new hem on stretchy pants
These are fabrics scissors with zig-zag blade. They are used to finish seams so fabric would not fray. You can use these for curves seams to reduce the bulk and give it that nice, tidy finish inside. They are best for cotton and alike fabrics.
Learn how to make fitted sheets in any size
I have to admit; it took me several years to accept the functionality of Rotary Cutters. I used to think when scissors can do the job just fine, why do I need Rotary Cutter? Turned out I bought the cheapest one I could find its blade was not that sharp and even it skipped a thread while cutting. It used to infuriate me! Recently I bought a good branded one, with smaller size blade and it has been a dream to cut with it!
I mostly use Rotary cutter for squaring quilt blocks and bag pieces (which need to be cut precisely in square or rectangles) but you can use it for cutting garment pieces too. A smaller blade is good for cutting curves.
7. Cutting Mat
With Rotary Cutter, a self-healing cutting mat is an absolute must!!!
It is made in a way that cutting on it with sharp blade does not mess it up (unless you keep cutting on one specific place for so long). It has inch grid and diagonal lines which helps in lining up your fabric pieces accurately. I would suggest you buy the biggest one that you can fit on your table. And a smaller one like A4 size which you can take with you anywhere in your house as per your need. Keep it flat, not rolled or standing behind furniture. I have been using one in the last 10 years, and I cannot imagine working without it. If any of my child keeps their stuff on it, I can't stand it! It must remain in my access all the time!
I have been wanting to own a quilting ruler for a long time. And when I finally got one, I fell in love with it immediately! They are a must to cut straight lines, rectangles and squares in combination with rotary cutter and cutting mat! They give you an accurate visual when cutting. Quilting Ruler comes in many sizes. You have to decide what you need it for- strips, squares etc. I have one in 4x14 inches size. It has been an all-rounder for me.
9. Long Ruler
I never thought I needed a long ruler until I had one. And I thought to myself, where has it been for all those years??? It is really good to use when you are working on longer projects like skirt, bedsheets (I have an awesome tutorial for making fitted bedsheets here) where you cannot hold a regular tape measure to mark a straight cut. Get one and thank me later!
10. Chalk wheel
Oh! I cannot tell you how lucky I was when I saw it in a local shop and bought it immediately. It looked cool and works even better! It dispenses the chalk in powder form on fabric in thin line. And its mark can be easily removed after sewing. I have gifted the chalk wheel to my family members who are expert in sewing, and they were delighted to use it! It comes in traditional triangular shape as well as in pen shape.
11. Point Turner
Made of bamboo, this Point Turner and Presser will help you in turning out those neat little, perfect corners. Use its pointy tip inside the corner to push it out nice and even. Quilts, collars, cuffs, pillows, bags- can be used for most of sewing projects! Use it flat side to crease the fabric or press the seams on cotton fabric.
12. Seam Ripper
No Sewing Tools list is complete without a trusty Seam Ripper. Who helps you when you sew a wrong seam or when you need to alter your clothes? It is not scissors always! It is seam ripper, even though hated for its use but must be needed to correct our mistakes! So go ahead and befriend it, it will make your life sew much easier ;)
Learn how to put Zipper in Abaya/Modest/Maxi Dress
13. Lint Roller
This might not be a traditional sewing tool, but it makes sure your garments and sewing projects are free of threads tails and fibers. I use it mostly on Ironing board where I do cutting and there are fabric threads stuck onto it. Also use it to pick lint and fibers from your finished pieces and your own clothing to keep them clean!
Start investing in your sewing kit, see which tools you have already and which you need next. I have hand-picked each of the sewing tool mentioned above. Trust me, I have been in your shoes-wanting to up my sewing game and spending money on every new shiny thing that came my way.
I want you to be Great at sewing, but I do not want you to waste your money like I did! You do not have to! These 13 Sewing tools are not just for experts to use, beginners will love to use them too! And I can assure you, YOU will Actually use them regularly and come to love them like I do now!
Happy Sewing,
Rabeea 💗
.jpg)





.jpg)


.jpg)