How to Organize your Drawers with Plastic Canvas DIY Baskets


How to Organize your Drawers with Plastic Canvas DIY Baskets




Don't you just hate it when you are rushing in kitchen and you cannot find the tool or spoon you are looking for in the drawers? You are fumbling and shuffling! You can find everything else except for what you need! How frustrating is that!

I will let you in on a Secret!(hush, hush) I am a big fan of storage solutions. I love to spend my time in de-cluttering, sorting and organizing stuff around the house. I try to work out systems for maximum storage and easy access.

In my new kitchen, there were more drawers than before. Obviously more things meant to be stuffed (wink, wink!) First, I sorted the tools according to types/usage - Tools drawer, Cutlery, Cooking/Serving and Roti-making. I first thought to buy drawer dividers but either they were expensive or not according to my liking.


So, I decided to make those myself. But how? Cardboard was first choice, I have experimented with it earlier, but they cannot be cleaned, and stuff gets mixed up as it is not sturdy enough. Also, it wears off after some time.


Instead of making dividers, Baskets were better option. Working with fabric meant more work and accurate measurements. Also, it will not stay up and it will collect dust and grains. I looked in my craft stash and found Plastic Canvas Sheets. I have bought a dozen of these for some project that I never started.

Plastic canvas sheet

For those who do not know, these are sheets made of flexible or hard plastic, according to type, and has square holes in it. These are available in Pakistan in small rectangles around 4”. But here in Jeddah, KSA, these sheets are larger in size about 16” x 14” approx. The holes are larger too. Mainly these are used to make tissue boxes, trinket boxes and other decorative things.

Plastic Canvas Box

Plastic Canvas Box

I have made one small box and embellished it with thin ribbon. It was made years ago but still in good shape. Well we will discuss embellishing on Plastic Canvas some other day.

Today I will show you how to make storage baskets with these sheets. You can find these in Stationary shops in KSA and Craft shops in Pakistan. I got them ridiculously cheap here, 1 dozen for Sr. 15 from Hindawiyah Market. It may cost you more in other places.
craft wire
Add caption
The other thing you will need is Craft Wire. I used this one, mainly we have used if for tying cords around the house. I like this one as it is very thin but pliable and sturdy. It is covered with some shiny plastic, so it is easy to work with too. I bought this roll from a stationary shop for Sr. 8. I have used a lot of it but its no where to be near finish. So, my total material cost for 4 drawers organizers is only Sr. 23. How cheap is that?!

If it does not motivate you enough then I do not know what will!

Other tools you will need are:

  • Craft Scissors
  • Pencil
  • Ruler
  • Pliers
  • Paper Roll
Note: In this tutorial I will show you the basic concept of making a basket with divider. From here on, you can use your own creativity to make it however you need. I have also added 3 Mini Videos explaining the following methods. So follow the videos if you are having trouble understanding tutorial. :)

How to Measure your Drawer


First measure length and width of inside of your drawer and draw it on paper with a ruler. Cut out the paper drawer template.


Place your tools on paper on how you want them sorted in drawer.


Draw lines around them, its better if you keep the markings in inches or cm, so they are easy to measure later.

A word of caution here: keep the overall measurement of basket half inch or a cm less. Can you detect a wave in my basket? Its because I made it according to full measurement, it took just a little bit more space while making, hence making it bigger. Smaller can fit easily but bigger will not. You will regret it later.

Take another measurement on how deep your drawer is. This will determine how high your baskets are.

Now the Fun Part – Making the Baskets!


Let measure and cut plastic canvas sheets. Measure your Plastic Canvas on paper templates, the cut accordingly. Do not forget side pieces.


I will share lazygirl’s advise here, do not cut all the pieces, these sheets can be folded. So, fold the side pieces from base piece.


Make sure you trim all the jagged edge of canvas, so it would not poke you later.

Attaching Divider Piece

Cut a piece of wire double the length of edges attached.

Example, if three sides of divider pieces that will be joined to base and side pieces is 12 inches, then wire should be 24 inches.


Place divider piece on base piece where it would be attached. Pass wire through both pieces starting from center of canvas piece and middle of wire.





Working from center to right side, leave one hole and pass wire through next hole, front to back. Then pass to front leaving one hole. Keep weaving the wire like that until you reach corner of divider piece.


Fold the base piece, so now you have side piece.

Straighten the divider piece, so its edge matches the side piece. Pass wire from corner and side piece and continue weaving until you reach the end of both pieces.


Pass wire twice through the last holes, fold it inside and trim with pliers.




Now work center to right by rotating your piece first. Leave one hole, pass wire through next holes and continue till end like you did with other side.




Here is a short video that I have made explaining the following method, if you are finding it difficult to understand.

Attaching side piece




Place side piece to edge of base piece matching holes. Cut wire accordingly and start working from center to right side, weave, finish trim just like you did for divider piece. Work other side following same method.





Join all the pieces like that.



I made the complex sorting baskets a year ago. As drawer was bigger than sheet so I joined a piece to base piece first. Then I joined the smaller divider pieces, leaving wires hanging if I could not join all the sides at that moment. Then larger divider pieces and side pieces at the end.








There you have it!

Your perfectly-fitting Organizing Custom made to your Drawers and Stuff.


Each of my Kitchen Drawers is based on a system. Now I do not have to think where to get what I need. I just open it and take it out and put it back without any shuffling. It is easier to work when Everything in its Place and there is a Place for Everything. It is one of my favorite quotes. I store my things according to it.

I cannot wait to see what you guys make from this tutorial. I got a lot of interest from people who wanted to learn how I made it.

Start Creating!

Don't forget to share this tutorial with your DIY friends! 

Comments

  1. Very well explained and looks so easy to make considering all the details and measurements. Also the post keeps you engaged throughout the process to see the final product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear. I am glad that I am able to explain to my readers, they are very supportive MashaAllah.

      Delete
  2. Nice very useful thanks a million

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative and organized way

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jazakillah khair for such useful help.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment