What to look for in Your First Sewing Machine? A complete Guide!

Buying your first Sewing Machine? Here is what you need to know!

Buying your first sewing machine? Don't know what you should be looking for? Here is what you need to know! Buying a sewing machine is like buying any other electronic appliance  for your home. 

  • You may or may not have a set budget
  • You have certain requirements that you want in your sewing machine ( I have list down all the important features in this blogpost)
  • I have also added a FREE PRINTABLE SHOPPING CHECKLIST at the end of this post.
what to look for in first sewing machine, for beginners, buying your first sewing machine, rabeeamadeit, how to buy sewing machine, sewing machine buying guide, jeddah, free shopping checklist,, juki, singer, brother, janome, brand, babylock, hurqsvana,

When I came to Jeddah 8 years ago, I saw a beautiful sewing machine in a big brand store. I fell in love with it instantly. It was around 5 years ago that I finally bought it. We went to sewing machine dealers shop. They had a wide range of machines available. But my heart was set on only One!

When we brought it home and started to work with it, I realized I knew nothing about its features. It was a surprise for me! There were some things I absolutely loved and few I still hate!

I wished I had done some research beforehand so I would have made a better choice. Or at least considered other options. I do not want you to make same mistake that I did. I want you to buy a sewing machine that you love working with for years and years. It is an investment so make it worth.

Places to buying Sewing machine in Jeddah

Beginner-friendly Sewing Projects

Things to Look for in your First Sewing Machine

There are loads of options available in market. This makes it harder to choose from. I have list down the most useful features available in a sewing machine. It may be that what is in your budget, does not have all. So do not despair! Instead give it a thought and see which options you can do without. 

what to look for in first sewing machine, for beginners, buying your first sewing machine, rabeeamadeit, how to buy sewing machine, sewing machine buying guide, jeddah, free shopping checklist,  juki, singer, brother, janome, brand, babylock, hurqsvana,

These are the features you should be looking in your first sewing machine:

1. Stitches

Are you okay with one straight stitch? Or are you looking for all-in-one? My machine has 24 stitches, most are decorative. But do you know how many I use on a regular basis? Only 3! Those are running/straight, zig-zag and buttonhole. 

The rest are used rarely. Those 3 are the only ones you will be using. If you are not into garment making then you probably won't use buttonhole as well. Also if your machine can make zigzag, you can use that to make buttonholes.

2. Needle Up/Down

This was the option I knew nothing about until I bought my first sewing machine. In the machines I have seen my whole life, the needle will stop anywhere as soon as the pedal stops-up, down or middle. In new machines, there is an option or lack of- to stop needle at top or bottom, every time you stop sewing. 

With needle up/down button, you can decide where to stop  your needle. In my opinion, needle down is the better option. This way needle will hold the fabric in place when you are turning corners or sewing a curve seam. Not all machines have this option. In some the needle is set to stop on top or bottom. So ask about it.

3. Needle Position

Do you know you can move needle to left or right in a sewing machine?  It is a very handy feature for inserting zipper or sewing through tight spaces. You can move needle to a more comfortable position this way.

But remember, this option works better on straight stitch. With zig-zag or decorative stitches, you can accidently break the needle if it gets on the foot.

4. Removable Free Arm

Sewing through small spaces like topstitching on cuffs, sleeves or armscye, can be challenging for a newbie. With removable machine arm, you can take it off and slide small cuff or sleeves onto work area. This makes it easy to sew and you can see where you are sewing. I did not know about this feature. I used to do it traditional way and huff and puff. Removable free arm has made it so easy for me to sew clothes for my babies and toddlers.

5. Automatic Needle Threader

Do I need to say more?! This is an excellent feature to have on your machine. No more trying to pass thread through needle with one eye and some spit ;) Automatic needle threader does the job for you. Follow your machine's manual to know how it is done correctly on your model. For me, I just hold the thread tail onto its latch and press the lever. It passes the thread through eye itself. 

Some machines have semi-automatic needle threader. One of my machine has this and I hate using it. It is more work than threading needle yourself. Ask your dealer about automatic needle threader and try this feature at the shop.

6. Automatic Thread Trimmer/Cutter

No need to trim thread tails when you finish sewing with automatic thread trimmer! This feature takes care of trimming thread itself. No more pulling fabric after sewing each piece and cutting it. Use this function to save some time. I wish my machine had it! 

7. Thread Guide

Taking your thread from spool to machine needle, you need to follow specific thread path. If you do not do it correctly, either thread will break and jam in, or it will make loops while stitching. Now machines have arrows to make threading easier. Beginners can follow thread path correctly every time.

what to look for in first sewing machine, buying your first sewing machine, rabeeamadeit, how to buy sewing machine, sewing machine buying guide, jeddah, free shopping checklist, juki, singer, brother, janome, brand, babylock, hurqsvana,

8. Bobbin Winder

I used to hate winding bobbin. I have seen everyone using a screwdriver to hold bobbin on machine's wheel to wind thread on it. The spool would fly everywhere and make the job harder.

When I saw bobbin winder on my sewing machine, I no longer hated this job. Just secure the bobbin on winder and press paddle or the special button(refer your machine manual for correct method), and it will wind itself and stops when it is full. How cool is that!

9. Speed Control

Well, I learned this lesson the hard way. Sewing machines operate on a specific speed. You can make it go slower by lightly pressing the paddle but you cannot make it go faster than it could. 

Slow speed is good for sewing children clothing, curves or when precision is needed. But when you are sewing straight lines for quilts, bedsheet, making ruffles, you will need fast speed. This becomes a headache on slow machines. It will make you avoid sewing these projects in future(like I do)

Newer machines have speed control options. It is so you can work on a specific speed according to your preference and projects.

9. Feed Dog down/up or Drop Feed

Feed dogs are little teeth on sewing plate that move the fabric back. They remain visible on top by default. If you want to do free-motion quilting or sew buttons, you will need to drop them down. It is only possible if your machine has feed dog up/down button or lever.

10. Machine Cover 

Let me tell you one more thing I did not know- not all machines come with a solid hard cover. Most machines have only flimsy dust covers. Check it in your machine specifications what kind of cover they are selling along. You can buy it separately too but not all machines have compatible covers.

11. Quality

Last but not the least, you need a good quality machine. If you compromise on quality, your will get frustrated every time you sit to sew. You will give up sewing eventually. To avoid that, keeping under your budget, buy the best quality one that you can find. It will make sewing pleasurable, with less thread breakage and tension issues.

A good sewing machine does not wobble when operating. Ask your dealer for better options and differences between brands and models.

Places to buying Sewing machine in Jeddah

Research and Read Reviews before buying a Sewing Machine

It is not necessary to buy the sewing machine on your first trip. When you have seen all the available options, google about them. You can find helpful reviews on amazon.com and other websites. Those are really helpful. Cross-check the reviews on different sites and narrow down your choices. You are going to buy sewing machine once, so make wise decision.

I have included a sewing machine buying checklist. You can print it and tick the options you want, and cross that you do not need or care about. It will make your choosing and shopping easier. You can take it with you on your buying trip.

Do not worry, buying your first sewing machine should not be an overwhelming project. It can be fun and you will learn a lot about sewing and sewing machines this way. This information will help you in your future projects too. 

what to look for in first sewing machine, buying your first sewing machine, rabeeamadeit, how to buy sewing machine, sewing machine buying guide, jeddah, free shopping checklist, juki, singer, brother, janome, brand, babylock, hurqsvana,

What do I need to buy to start sewing today? Click here.

After going through all the above points, you now know your requirements for buying your very first sewing machine. You can buy local or online confidently as you have more knowledge than before. The free checklist will help you focus and make shopping for your sewing machine much easier.

Happy Shopping!

Rabeea🛒🧵

Comments