How We Survived the First Weeks of Social Distancing at Home


The past few weeks have been a whirlwind of events beyond my comprehension. First my baby got sick, she was in fever for 3 days. Then her stomach got upset, she was soiling her diaper every hour or so. The eczema on my hands got worse due to frequent handwashing.  As I was trying to hang on to the last straw of my sanity, school got closed due to corona virus situation.



But it turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as me and my children no longer had to stick to strict school routine, homeworks, washing and pressing uniforms! Phew! I could focus on my little one.

Then the whatsapp group exploded with concerned mothers complaining of their children being home and no schoolwork. Next came was sharing of craft activities on every social media to keep children busy.

My mind could not make sense on what to do, well-being on my baby kept me away from fussing over activities for older children. The Mom guilt made a trip! I could not give them time since having baby no 3, my patience level has gone down drastically.

I despised getting them to do their homework. I have always wanted to homeschool my children but couldn’t. Every year I wait for summer holidays so I can teach them skills at home, so they can play together and bond.

These days being home with children was like summer holidays started early for me/us. Alhamdulillah! Anyways, a weekend ago me and my daughter went to Jarir Bookstore - my most favorite place to roam and spend my money (shhhh).

My husband’s birthday was near, and I thought to buy few things for him from there. I am very thoughtful and practical person when buying gifts for people. I take into consideration their likes, practicality and their needs. I don’t buy stuff just because it looks good-it should serve a purpose. And Alhamdulillah, people like what I gift them.

The day of my hubby’s birthday, I spent my whole day sewing a pair of trousers for him. He complains all the time that he cannot find good pair of trousers with all the requirements he has, like good fabric, fitting, cut, style, blah blah, the list goes on. That’s why I decided to take this upon myself to provide him the custom-fit, all in one, perfect trousers.

I had bought some cotton-mix fabric from a shop in Souq Sharq – my 3rd most favorite place to roam and spend my money. There is this shop Al-Ammari textiles (they offer home-delivery service). They have got the widest range of fabrics I have ever seen in one place. I really like their fabric quality.

In afternoon, we baked Marble Cake in Bundt cake pan that a neighbor gifted me just before leaving for Pakistan(may Allah make the move easy on her, ameen. I miss you! :( ). I have wanted to buy that pan for years, thanks to her I don’t have to anymore. I used Martha Stewart’s Marble Cake recipe but substituted All Purpose Flour to Whole-Wheat Flour. (TIP: substitute 1cup AP flour to 3/4 cup WW flour, otherwise the cake will be hard)



The children were involved in baking and decorating the cake so you can imagine my struggles. It turned out to be a fun day as children got to enjoy something new, I got to enjoy lighting my favorite Candle from Caramel Bath and body. Hubby got birthday surprise, and really liked everything specially the trousers.  Ha! I told you so!




What I got him from Jarir bookstore was these Erasable Pens that I saw in Project Runway, the designers used these to make sketches of their dresses. Its my favorite show! These writes like ordinary pens but you can ERASE THEIR INK!!! How cool is that! I bought in blue and black colors only. Although Jarir carry a color pack of these pens, which I am planning to buy as soon as I finish all my old pens, hopefully in near future…wink, wink!



I got him a DAD plaque too, so he can finally make that frames wall that I have been waiting for ages! (its still not done, sigh)
Alhamdulillah, my baby got better, her rash healed, and we enjoyed a couple of days. I met a very talented Weaving and Macramé Artist at ATdesignery, who brought her work for some sewing finishes. She weaved these beautiful pieces and wanted me to turn them int hanging pockets.



I machine-stitched the pocket, then hand-stitched those to the back of woven pieces. I bought one piece form her too as it was so beautifully textured and begged me to remain with me, hehe! I wanted to try my hands at something new too. Can you guess what I am going to make with it?



The list of all the mentioned places and products is below:


That’s Our Surviving the first weeks of Social Distancing at home. And I would love to hear how you are doing it! 

May Allah protect all of us from diseases of body and heart, ameen

Comments

  1. Yes.. you really have a perfect sense of what to gift others. I have always loved everything that you bring for us! Thank you 💕

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment